- Plan Your Visit
- About Us
- Special Programs
- Academy of the Sword
- Collection Highlights
- Collection Database
- Museum Store
- Rent the Museum
Even though the museum is closing at the end of the year, we’ll help make your stay one to remember! More information about Higgins' integration with Worcester Art Museum.
Our popular OverKnight program is an interactive parent-child adventure perfect for youth groups, scouts, and school groups studying the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. You’ll be immersed in a unique educational experience, focusing on chivalry, heraldry, and the history of the knight in shining armor. Spending the night at Castle Higgins is an exciting enrichment opportunity, especially appropriate for children in grades 1 through 6.
- Participants arrive at 5:30 and set up sleeping gear in the Castle Quest.
- The group enjoys dinner, either an informal pizza party or Medieval-style meal.
- The evening formally begins with a presentation on the arms and armor of a knight, including an extended hands-on section where participants can try on pieces of armor and equipment.
- A guided tour of the collection.
- Participants return to the classroom for a heraldry lesson and shield workshop.
- Prior to lights out, a bedtime snack will be served. Decaffeinated coffee and tea are available for adult guests.
- Lights out.
- Wake-up call at 6:15 am
- Continental breakfast: assorted baked goods, cereal, juice, milk, coffee and tea.
- Participants return to the Great Hall for a Quest: a scavenger hunt for the "Elements of the Chivalric Code."
- After successfully completing this Quest, a Knighting Ceremony will be conducted by the Nobles of the Realm (Group Leaders).
- Visit to the Museum Store.
- Departure at 9:00 am
The program is designed for up to 60 people and we require at least one chaperone for every child. You should bring your sleeping bags and your imaginations, and plan to arrive at the museum at 5:30 p.m. Your stay lasts until 9 a.m. the following morning, when there will be an opportunity to visit the Museum Store.
When you reserve an OverKnight, you are essentially renting the museum for the entire evening just for your group. We only book one group at a time (except for Open OverKnights; see below). There are two meal options (see below) and the price listed includes admission and programming for up to 60 participants (30 adults and 30 children).
Pizza dinner option: $2,880.00
This option includes a pizza dinner with cheese and pepperoni pizza, vegetable trays and dip, drinks (assorted juice, milk, water, and coffee and tea), and a bedtime snack. A continental breakfast is provided.
Medieval-style dinner option: $3,120.00
This option includes a medieval-style meal with a quarter chicken for each guest, along with potato wedges, baby carrots, drinks (assorted juice, milk, water, and coffee and tea), and a bedtime snack and milk. A continental breakfast is provided.
This option is available for families and smaller groups that would like to spend the night in our museum, but are not part of a larger group that can book a private program. The prices are $48 per person for the Pizza Dinner nights or $52 per person for the Medieval-style Dinner nights. For more information please call (508) 853-6015, ext. 20, or e-mail email@example.com.
Make a reservation
Friday and Saturday night OverKnight slots often sell out many months in advance, especially for popular dates. Book now to assure the date of your choice. Call Jesse at (508) 853-6015, ext. 20, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
As of May 24, 2013, the following dates are available for the Summer/Fall of 2013:
Saturday, June 22nd - Pizza Meal
Saturday, July 20th - Medieval Meal
Friday, August 16th - Pizza Meal
Friday, October 18th - Pizza Meal
Saturday, November 9th - Medieval Meal - SOLD OUT
Friday, December 13th - Pizza Meal
Friday, September 6th
Friday, September 13th
Saturday, September 14th
Friday, September 20th
Friday, October 4th
Friday, November 15th
Friday, December 20th
Friday, December 27th
Saturday, December 28th
OverKnights can sometimes be scheduled during the Summer or on other nights of the week. Please call Jesse at (508) 853-6015, ext. 20, for more information.